Volkswagen of America drives bigger as presenting partner of U.S. Soccer's #GivingTuesday campaign
Dec 1, 2020
- Global day of generosity, #GivingTuesday encourages people to give and create positive change in the lives of others
- Volkswagen supports U.S. Soccer’s newly established Jill Ellis Scholarship Fund with $15,000 contribution
- Volkswagen supports 10 Team VW brand ambassadors with $100,000 to go toward charitable organizations as part of campaign
Herndon, VA — Inspired by the global #GivingTuesday movement, Volkswagen of America joined U.S. Soccer as presenting partner of U.S. Soccer’s #GivingTuesday campaign to support soccer organizations. #GivingTuesday is a global event held the Tuesday after Thanksgiving that reminds people to give back by donating to causes they care about.
As part of U.S. Soccer’s #GivingTuesday campaign, Volkswagen is directing $15,000 of its U.S. Soccer sponsorship to The Jill Ellis Scholarship Fund, a program announced by U.S. Soccer this past October to support, honor and celebrate the legacy of the former U.S. Women’s National Team head coach. One of the primary goals of the program is to help grow the sport by investing in and supporting more female coaches. The program will provide 50% of the tuition (which includes in-person meetings, accommodations and meals, instructor time and materials) for female candidates annually in Pro, “A” and “B” coaching license courses.
Volkswagen also committed to directing $10,000 of its U.S. Soccer sponsorship to each of the 10 Team VW brand ambassadors announced earlier this year. The U.S. Women’s and Men’s National Team athletes chose these nine soccer-based charities to support with these funds as a demonstration of their Drive Bigger™ spirit:
- Tyler Adams (MNT), Crystal Dunn (WNT): America SCORES
- Abby Dahlkemper (WNT): Grassroot Soccer
- Ali Krieger (WNT): Women and Girls in Soccer (WAGS)
- Carli Lloyd (WNT): Women’s Sports Foundation
- Weston McKennie (MNT): The Steve Nash Foundation
- Samantha Mewis (WNT): Hidden Gems Soccer
- Jordan Morris (MNT): The Jordan Morris Foundation
- Kelley O’Hara (WNT): The Kelley O’Hara Scholarship Fund
- Gyasi Zardes (MNT): The Columbus Crew SC Foundation
“Volkswagen is committed to the growth of soccer in the U.S.—and what better way to do this than by supporting organizations rooted in these efforts,” said Duncan Movassaghi, Executive Vice President, Sales and Marketing, Volkswagen of America. “We’re happy to be presenting partner of U.S. Soccer’s #GivingTuesday campaign as it encourages others to drive something bigger than themselves and shows our Drive Bigger platform is hard at work.”
Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is an operating unit of Volkswagen Group of America and a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, with headquarters in Herndon, Virginia. Volkswagen’s operations in the United States include research and development, parts and vehicle processing, parts distribution centers, sales, marketing and service offices, financial service centers, and its state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The Volkswagen Group is one of the world's largest producers of passenger cars and Europe's largest automaker. Volkswagen sells the Arteon, Atlas, Atlas Cross Sport, Golf, Golf GTI, Jetta, Jetta GLI, Passat, and Tiguan vehicles through more than 600 independent U.S. dealers. Visit Volkswagen online at www.vw.com or media.vw.com to learn more.
“VW”, “Volkswagen” all model names and the Volkswagen logo are registered trademarks of Volkswagen AG. “Drive Bigger” is a trademark of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.