NEWSROOM: These 10 features of the Volkswagen Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport foster winter family fun
Jan 11, 2021
The holidays are over, but winter is not. And while your family may be tempted to stay in their pajamas for the next three months, it can be good to get outside and go for a drive — even in the chilly weather. Outdoor activities like sledding, ice skating or even driving to look at lingering holiday decorations can help your family make the most of the season while following COVID-19 guidelines.
Whether you are headed to a faraway cabin or just across town, the 2021 Volkswagen Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport help make winter activities easy and fun for the entire family. These 10 available features can give you confidence and keep your family comfortable on winter drives.
1. With the extended-range remote start kit, you can start your car without leaving the house.¹ While you’re still bundling up indoors, the car can begin warming the interior, saving you time and making your drive more comfortable. The extended-range remote start kit is an available accessory for both the Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport.
2. The heated front washer nozzles and heated side mirrors melt pesky ice and remove fog on your windshield and side mirrors, keeping you from scraping frost by hand. Heated side mirrors are standard on both models, while heated washer nozzles are standard on SE trims and above.
3. Heated seats, standard in the front row and an available option for the second row, offer three levels of warmth to keep the family cozy. And for drivers with cold fingers, a heated steering wheel offers additional relief from the winter weather. Heated front seats and steering wheels are standard on SE trims and above, and the top-of-the-line Premium trim includes heated outboard seats in the second row for both models.
Utilize storage space
1. The Atlas has extensive storage space to fit equipment for every winter activity. With 20.6 cubic feet of cargo room behind the third row, there is ample space to store the family’s winter coats and luggage — and more when you fold down the third- and second-row seats. With just two rows of seats, the Atlas Cross Sport offers even more cargo room, with 40.3 cubic feet of space behind the second row and 77.8 cubic feet when folded down.
2. When your hands are full of luggage or groceries, the last thing you want to do is set your bags down in the snow, dig out your keys and open the hatch — especially in the chilly weather. With the hands-free, foot-operated tailgate, you can load your snow gear into the trunk quickly and easily. This is available as a higher trim option in both models.
Drive with peace of mind
1. The Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport offer a myriad of driver assistance features. The blind-spot monitoring system, adaptive cruise control, and lane and front assist technologies are helpful as you drive year-round
2. When you’re driving in snowy or icy weather, Snow Mode, a function of the 4Motion All-Wheel Drive system, adapts to the conditions of the road and shifts the engine into high gear.² This minimizes slipping and provides as much traction and stability as possible. The 4Motion All-Wheel Drive system is available on every trim of the Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport.
Settle in for the ride
1. Many vehicles have cup holders, but the Atlas has 17 — far more than most SUVs. This helps ensure that your family’s hot chocolate or apple cider stays steady and within reach throughout the journey.
2. The Car-Net service offers an in-vehicle WiFi Hotspot, which you can use to help avoid traffic jams, search for a parking space and arrive at your destination more quickly.³ Available as a higher trim option in both models, a Car-Net Hotspot can also help passengers work on-the-go or stay entertained by streaming TV shows, movies or games.
3. If your family is still in the holiday spirit, a panoramic sunroof is perfect for viewing the holiday lights that decorate trees and homes as you drive. In addition, the 12-speaker Fender Premium Audio System offers concert-quality sound, adding a little extra cheer to any winter drive. The sunroof is available in both the Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport, and the Fender Premium Audio System is available as a higher trim option in both models.
¹ The extended-range remote start kit requires proper installation. Not compatible with vehicles equipped with manual transmissions. Other limitations apply. See your authorized dealer for compatibility requirements. See Owner’s Manual for further details and important warnings about the keyless ignition feature. Do not leave vehicle unattended with the engine running, particularly in enclosed spaces, and consult local laws for any limitations on use.
² When driving during winter weather conditions, ensure that your vehicle is equipped with appropriate all-season or winter tires. Always drive in a manner appropriate for the weather, visibility and road conditions.
³ The Car-Net Wi-Fi hotspot feature is intended for passenger use only. 4G LTE coverage is not available in all areas. See materials provided for terms, privacy, data security details. Requires trial or paid Wi-Fi plan from third party wireless provider.