Volkswagen announces a new trim line for the fully-electric 2015 e-Golf
Mar 5, 2015
- e-Golf Limited Edition model goes on sale with a starting price of $33,450
- Drivetrain consists of 24.2 kWh lithium-ion battery and an electric motor with 199 pound-feet of torque; 7.2 kW onboard charger is standard
- Standard fast charging capability allows up to 80 percent battery charge in 30 minutes
- EPA estimated fuel economy rating of 116 combined MPGe puts e-Golf at top of the 2015 EPA Compact Size Class
- A great value, with a host of features that include KESSY® Keyless access with push-button start, navigation system, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with C-shaped light signature, and more
Herndon, VA – Volkswagen of America, Inc., today, announced that a lower-priced version of the fully-electric 2015 Volkswagen e-Golf will go on sale at participating dealerships. The 2015 e-Golf Limited Edition is priced nearly $2,000 less than its SEL counterpart at $33,450, without compromising performance, quality, or versatility. The e-Golf Limited Edition is also available at a monthly lease price of $229, plus applicable fees.
The e-Golf Limited Edition is built on the same sporty Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) platform as the rest of the award winning Golf family. It is powered by a compact electric motor and a 24.2 kWh lithium-ion battery (built in-house at the Volkswagen facility in Braunschweig, Germany), and offers 115 horsepower and class-leading torque of 199 pound feet.
Changes compared with the SEL Premium models include 16-inch steel wheels in place of aluminum-alloys, halogen instead of LED headlights, cloth in place of leatherette seating surfaces, and deletion of the heat-pump system. Equipment and features that remain unchanged from the SEL Premium model include:
- DC Fast Charging with the Combined Charging System (CCS) that allows up to 80 percent battery charge in 30 minutes
- Standard 7.2kW onboard charger
- Versatile cargo area, with 22.8 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats; 52.7 cubic feet with seats folded
- Three driving profiles designed to preserve energy (“Normal”, “Eco”, and “Eco+”) and three driver-selectable regeneration modes
- KESSY® keyless access with push-button start
- Navigation system
- LED Daytime Running Lights
- Climatronic® automatic dual-zone climate control system
- Electronic parking brake
- Electrically heated windshield
- Automatic headlights and wipers
- Rearview camera
- Front and rear Park Distance Control
The e-Golf achieves an EPA-estimated Miles per Gallon of Gasoline Equivalent (MPGe) of 126 city, 105 highway, and 116 combined; the EPA estimates that range is 83 miles on a single charge. This makes the e-Golf the most fuel-efficient compact car in the U.S. according to the 2015 Most Fuel Efficient Cars by EPA Size Class (including electric vehicles) list.
In addition to its EPA recognition, the e-Golf shares the 2015 Motor Trend Car of the Year and Green Car Reports “Best Car to Buy 2015” awards with the entire Volkswagen Golf family.
To further improve the ownership experience, Volkswagen is taking a holistic approach to e-Mobility. This includes a collaboration with 3Degrees®, a renewable energy services provider, to invest in carbon reduction projects to help offset the emissions created from Volkswagen e-Golf production, distribution and charging of the vehicle up to 36,000 miles of driving. Charging solutions from Bosch® and Chargepoint®, along with a new Roadside Assistance program and the VW Car-Net® e-Golf app are designed to make owning the e-Golf a thoroughly reassuring, rewarding and enjoyable experience.
About Volkswagen of America, Inc.
Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc., an operating unit of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (VWoA) is headquartered in Herndon, Virginia. It is a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, headquartered in Wolfsburg, Germany. VWoA’s operations in the United States include research and development, parts and vehicle processing, parts distribution centers, sales, marketing and service offices, financial service centers, and its state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The Volkswagen Group is one of the world's largest producers of passenger cars and Europe's largest automaker. VWoA sells the Beetle, Beetle Convertible, CC, Eos, e-Golf, Golf, Golf R, Golf GTI, Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, Passat, Tiguan and Touareg vehicles through approximately 652 independent U.S. dealers. Visit Volkswagen of America online at www.vw.com or media.vw.com to learn more.
This press release and images of the 2015 e-Golf Limited Edition and 2015 e-Golf are available at media.vw.com. Follow us @VWNews
“Climatronic”, “KESSY”, “VW”, “Volkswagen”, all model names and the Volkswagen logo are registered trademarks of Volkswagen AG. “Car-Net” is a registered trademark of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
2015 Volkswagen e-Golf models are available only at participating dealers in select states.
All prices listed are the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price and exclude transportation, taxes, title, options, and dealer charges.
Where stated, fuel economy values (MPGe) are based on EPA estimates. Actual mileage will vary and depend on several factors including driving and charging habits, weather and temperature, battery age, and vehicle condition. Battery capacity decreases with time and use.
Charging up to 80 percent in 30 minutes requires use of select DC fast charging stations. Frequent and consecutive high-voltage charging (including DC charging) can permanently decrease the capacity of the high-voltage battery.