5 Coolest things about the 2020 Jetta GLI
Jun 16, 2020
Herndon, VA — Volkswagen of America introduces a new video series, debuting today, to highlight the five coolest things you may not know about models from the 2020 lineup—from the entry-level Jetta to the top-of-the-line Arteon. First up: the 2020 Jetta GLI.
- GTI with a trunk. Over six generations since its 1984 debut, the mission of the GLI has been simple: to deliver an accessible German performance sedan. The car has to be undeniably fun to drive without sacrificing any of the usability and efficiency that drivers expect from the brand. Like its sporty stablemate GTI, this means loading it up with the best performance gear that Volkswagen has, like front brakes using 13.4-inch diameter vented discs borrowed from the Golf R.
- VAQ differential. GLI models feature a VAQ electronically-controlled, torque-sensing, limited-slip differential, also shared with other Volkswagen performance models. It hydraulically varies torque to each front wheel, working in tandem with the XDS® electronic differential lock to reduce understeer and limit wheelspin.
- DCC® adaptive damping. Autobahn models feature the latest version of the DCC adaptive damping system, which manages the suspension’s rebound and compression rates individually, constantly adapting to road conditions and driver inputs to help to improve vehicle dynamics. The electronically adjustable dampers provide different ride settings in the Driving Mode Selection, putting the suspension dampers in their softest setting for a smooth highway ride and to their firmest setting in Sport for better cornering performance.
- Manual transmission? Check. In a world of disappearing three-pedal vehicles, Volkswagen still has a handful of offerings for 2020 that let you row the gears, including Jetta and Golf, along with their sporty siblings Jetta GLI and Golf GTI.
- No-cost performance Every 2020 GLI is outfitted with 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels—two-tone twin five-spoke machined wheels come standard and twin five-spoke dark gray wheels are available in the GLI Autobahn Black Package—mated to low-profile 225/45 R18 all-season tires. Add summer performance tires to either trim optional for $0.
Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is an operating unit of Volkswagen Group of America and a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, with headquarters in Herndon, Virginia. Volkswagen’s operations in the United States include research and development, parts and vehicle processing, parts distribution centers, sales, marketing and service offices, financial service centers, and its state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The Volkswagen Group is one of the world's largest producers of passenger cars and Europe's largest automaker. Volkswagen sells the Arteon, Atlas, Atlas Cross Sport, Golf, Golf GTI, Jetta, Jetta GLI, Passat, and Tiguan vehicles through more than 600 independent U.S. dealers. Visit Volkswagen online at www.vw.com or media.vw.com to learn more.
“DCC”, “VW”, “Volkswagen”, “XDS”, all model names and the Volkswagen logo are registered trademarks of Volkswagen AG. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This information and any vehicle specifications are preliminary and subject to change.
Features and technical data apply to models offered in the USA. They may differ in other countries.
Fuel economy will vary and depends on several factors including driving habits and vehicle condition. See www.fueleconomy.gov for details.
The low-profile all-season tires may ride less comfortably, make more noise, and wear more quickly than other choices. To avoid tire, rim, or vehicle damage, it is important that inflation pressure is regularly checked and maintained at optimum levels. Tires are supplied and warranted by their manufacturer.