5 Coolest things about the 2020 Passat
Jul 14, 2020
Herndon, VA — Volkswagen of America continues the 5 coolest things video series highlighting the most interesting things you may not know about models from the 2020 lineup—from the entry-level Jetta to the top-of-the-line Arteon. Today’s vehicle: the 2020 Volkswagen Passat.
- Redesigned for 2020. For 2020, the Passat’s sheet metal has been redesigned with a straightened greenhouse and a coupe-like roofline, giving the car a much bolder look. The slim headlights and a dominant grille of the front end are supported by a strong Tornado line on the side and prominent Passat badging, that runs the width of the decklid, all combining for a premium feel. R-Line® models take the basic design and up the ante. The more aggressive front end treatment features a unique bumper with C-signature air intakes in gloss black and adds vertical chrome stripes to the grille. From the side, R-line models are distinguished by badging on the front quarter-panel and black window surrounds. At the back, a rear diffuser and rear spoiler add a sporty touch.
- Value baked in. Standard features include 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, LED projector headlights (with signature daytime running lights) and taillights, automatic headlights, front Comfort seats with 6-way adjustable driver’s seat, multifunction steering wheel, Composition Media MIBII infotainment system, VW App-Connect, Bluetooth® connectivity for compatible devices, and SiriusXM® satellite radio (three-month trial subscription).
- Standard driver assistance. Every Passat comes standard with Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Monitoring (Front Assist) to warn drivers of potential frontal collisions with vehicles and pedestrians, and in some cases provide automatic braking assistance. Blind Spot Monitor—to help warn drivers of the presence of other vehicles in adjacent lanes—and Rear Traffic Alert—to help detect vehicles approaching from the side that may be difficult for the driver to see while reversing—are standard as well. Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keeping System (Lane Assist) are standard starting on the second trim.
- B-cycle engine. For the 2018 model year, the engine capacity was increased from 1.8 to 2.0 liters and incorporated the so-called Budack cycle for improved combustion efficiency. The upshot is 174 horsepower that kicks in at 4,400 rpm, and is maintained until 6,000 rpm. For 2020, a new torque converter, combined with new software, boosts output to 206 pound-feet of torque (22 lb-ft more than the previous model).
- Room to stretch. Passat is known for having one of the most spacious backseats in the midsize sedan segment, with 39.1 inches of rear legroom.
Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is an operating unit of Volkswagen Group of America and a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, with headquarters in Herndon, Virginia. Volkswagen’s operations in the United States include research and development, parts and vehicle processing, parts distribution centers, sales, marketing and service offices, financial service centers, and its state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The Volkswagen Group is one of the world's largest producers of passenger cars and Europe's largest automaker. Volkswagen sells the Arteon, Atlas, Atlas Cross Sport, Golf, Golf GTI, Jetta, Jetta GLI, Passat, and Tiguan vehicles through more than 600 independent U.S. dealers. Visit Volkswagen online at www.vw.com or media.vw.com to learn more.
“R-Line”, “VW”, “Volkswagen”, all model names and the Volkswagen logo are registered trademarks of Volkswagen AG. “Bluetooth” is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc. “Sirius”, “XM”, “SiriusXM” and all related marks and logos are trademarks of SiriusXM Radio Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This information and any vehicle specifications are preliminary and subject to change.
Features and technical data apply to models offered in the USA. They may differ in other countries.
Not all App-Connect features are available on all operating systems. Standard text and data usage rates apply. App-Connect features require compatible device, operating system, and mobile apps. See mobile device and app providers for terms and privacy.
When downloading apps, standard message and data rates apply.
SiriusXM audio and data services each require a subscription sold separately, or as a package, by Sirius XM Radio Inc. If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. Please see the SiriusXM Customer Agreement at www.siriusxm.com for complete terms and how to cancel, which includes calling SiriusXM at 1-888-539-7474. All fees, content and features are subject to change.
Fuel economy will vary and depends on several factors including driving habits and vehicle condition. See www.fueleconomy.gov for details.
Driver-assistance features are not substitutes for attentive driving. See Owner’s Manual for further details, and important limitations.